Shell & Tube Heat Exchangers
Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Fabrication is our specialty. It’s the service that launched CUST-O-FAB in 1972, and we're still the company that does it best.
Our entire team is extremely proud of our history in heat exchanger fabrication and the fact that our customers know they can count on our reputation of reliability. At CUST-O-FAB we design and fabricate our heat exchangers to ASME code standards and to TEMA standards.
Extensive Shop Capabilities
Our machine shops are outfitted with an extensive assortment of equipment for drilling and machining to exact tolerances. Prior to fabrication, our team of design engineers will also provide you with a complete thermal and mechanical design in order to ensure proper project execution.
No matter what kind of exchanger project you have, we have what it takes to deliver high-quality equipment safely and on-schedule.
Years of Experience Translates Into Superior Quality & Turnaround Time
Decades of industry knowledge is what sets us apart. There’s no one else in the industry that knows more about custom fabrication of shell and tube heat exchangers than CUST-O-FAB.
Simply put, we deliver like no one else can. That’s a fact.
We have customers who have tried other vendors. Once. That’s all it took to realize the CUST-O-FAB difference.
Like any business might, one of our long-time customers tried out a new vendor. They gave them a shot and sent out a couple shells to be split, repaired, and put back together. (A task that CUST-O-FAB had delivered flawlessly every time.)
But then that new vendor delivered almost 2 weeks behind schedule—something that CUST-O-FAB never does. They told us they “learned a valuable lesson… we thought we would try out your competitor, but that definitely won’t happen again.”
Other vendors can’t beat our experience and expertise. They can’t beat the quality products and delivery times that we’re capable of, because they don’t have our team—a team that we’ve built and maintained for half a century, continually hiring the best and keeping them. Our turnover is low because we’ve created a culture of excellence. We hire the best and the best want to stay because quality loves company.
From project management and engineering, to the skilled craftsmen who build the equipment, we’ve created a team and a culture that stands apart from anyone in the industry when it comes to knowledgable preparation.
When we hear something is coming down the pipe, we immediately go into action. By the time a job actually hits our shop, we’re lightyears ahead of the competition who are still scrambling to put things in place. That’s because at CUST-O-FAB, schedules are set in stone, and we are not a team that delivers late work. We’ve learned how to make sure we deliver quality products on time.
We’ve seen it all and we’ve done it all. CUST-O-FAB has never shied away from the toughest jobs and that’s what has made us the best in the industry.
Put CUST-O-FAB to the test and you’ll never want to work with anyone else.
24/7 Year-Round Service
All CUST-O-FAB fabrication shops operate 24/7, 365 days a year, allowing us to better serve our customers by delivering high-quality products faster and more efficiently.
CUST-O-FAB is the go-to company to call. Our team has extensive experience with emergency work, whether during a turnaround or plant outage conditions that requires a repair or emergency replacement of heat exchangers on an expedited basis.
Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger Capabilities
- Pipe and shell sizes up to 120 in. diameter
- Maximum weight of 400,000 lbs.
- Maximum shell thickness of 3 in.
- Channel thickness of 8”
- Complete Thermal and Mechanical Design and guarantee available.
- All heat exchangers are fabricated to ASME Code and TEMA standards.
- Rod Baffles
- Egg Crate Baffles
Our capabilities cover a wide range of materials, including:
- All Nickels
- 300 & 400 Series Stainless Steel
- 2205 & 2507 Duplex Stainless Steel
- Low Alloys
- Low Temp
- Carbon Steel
- Weld Overlays
- Mill Clads/Explosion Bonding
- All Chromes
- CUST-O-FAB has more than 1500 welding procedures that have been qualified over the course of five decades.
- Weld procedures range from carbon steel to the highest alloys used today.
- Many of our weld procedures are for the American Petroleum Institute (API) 582 for general welding rules. 934 A, C, E for chrome welding and 938 specification for Duplex welding.
- CUST-O-FAB is the leader in welding to the standards of the American Petroleum Institute (API) within the refining and petrochemical industry.
- Carbon Steel (Low Temp, Low Residual Elements)
- 1 ¼ Chrome adhering to API-934 C & E
- 2 ¼ Chrome adhering to API-934 A
- Low Alloy Vanadium Modified
- 300 and 400 series Stainless Steels
- Duplex and Super Duplex Stainless Steels adhering to API-938 C
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW)
- Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW)
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Submerged Arc Welding (SAW)
- Boretech® Pipe, Small Diameter Weld Overlay
- 30 and 60mm Strip Clad Overlay
- Dual Wire Weld Overlay System